24 Aug Florence Magazine – Your Network
I recently wrote this article for Florence magazine, a magazine that celebrates women who work in, or contribute to the building and construction Industry.
I wanted to share some benefits of being in a supportive community (inspired by TradieWives of course!).
Hope you enjoy it.
“Running a business can feel lonely and isolating. It is particularly difficult if you have left a job in which you were constantly surrounded be people that could give you guidance and support to branch out on your own. There are so many things to juggle and sometimes it is hard to know if you are doing it right.
It is often overwhelming and difficult to know where to find assistance when you need it. This is why I believe it is so important to surround yourself with a like-minded community who understand the ups and downs of running a business.
Communities such as industry associations or social media business groups are a great place to go for support and advice from people who are in the same boat. They also provide great networking opportunities and can connect you to people who can help you to grow your business and who often become your business mentors. These people usually share a common goal and will support and encourage each other to achieve them.
Here are some other reasons to surround yourself with a great business network:
- It can stop you feeling alone in your struggles. A problem shared is a problem halved – if you are facing an issue in your business, chances are someone in your community will have been there before and can offer some advice;
- When you are going through tough times, it gives you a place to go to get support from people who understand;
- Similarly, you can share your business wins with a group of people who will be there to cheer you on and encourage you;
- It can inspire you to hear the success stories of other people, who have been in the same boat, push you to keep moving forward, and learn from their stories;
- You are able to get valuable insights into potential roadblocks that you haven’t anticipated;
- It allows you to be challenged, which encourages and promotes growth; and
- It offers comic relief – sometimes you just need a place to go to have a laugh with people who just ‘get it.’
They say that you should spend as much time working on your mental health as you do on your physical health, and I truly believe that surrounding yourself with a fantastic community when running a business is crucial to success. As the saying goes ‘who you surround yourself with, you become.’
If you are not yet part of a business community and would like to be, Facebook is a great place to start. There are groups for all different industries, so reach out and connect with other business owners – you never know where it may lead.”